Friday, May 5, 2023

Quick check in

Hi everyone

I'm still here. Thank you to Lori & Teresa for checking up on me. I really appreciate it. I'm currently in the middle of a legal battle with the ex. This is something that could have been avoided, so I'm really mad about it. It's costing me a lot of money right now. We all know that lawyers don't come cheap. I have to deal with 2 different types of lawyers. Next week is my week for lawyers appointments.

I also have an appointment with my realtor to go view a house tomorrow. The house is really nice & fairly new. Again, over my budget and has a sink in the middle of the kitchen, but at this point, I'm just ready to move. Actually, I'm more than ready to move. I really like this house. It's not far from here and everything is modern, but I just don't have peace about it. My gut is saying no, but I'm determined to go check out that house...lol  Oh boy. The housing market is heating up, but the ones I usually like are over budget. I'm willing to pay a little bit more (not too much) if I find the right house though.

On top of that, the washer's not working right. Ugh! We haven't even had this thing for 2 years. The previous one (a GE. Do yourself a favor & stay away from this brand) didn't even last 3 months. So we bought a Speed Queen that has worked great, but won't rinse now. I've done some research, the ex checked for ways to fix it and I'm coming up with the same answer - the filter needs to be cleaned (I've seen several people mention this. Looks like it's a common problem with the newer washers - different brands) He said he already did that and a tech is bringing a new valve next week. So I've been washing a load, then haul it upstairs to rinse in the bathtub (I tried filling the washer with water, but it won't hold), then haul everything downstairs to spin. I'm buying myself a non-digital washer when I move. I seriously don't want this headache again. All the newer digital things don't work. We actually have a digital LG dryer (probably 6-8 years old) that still works great. It seems that the newer pandemic stuff is the problem. If anyone has a newer washer that works great, please let me know the brand & model in the comments. I just need to find something that works well. TIA. 

So, I'm in the middle of packing and it made me realise that I don't need any more clothes. I filled 3 of those 27 gallon containers with just clothes from my spare closet. That is just crazy! That's just clothes. I haven't even packed any of my shoes yet & there's a lot. I just left some clothes in both closets for use now. It's actually enough clothes to fill a normal person's closet, but it feels so empty to me. Oh boy! I need to buy more containers soon. I actually like packing this way. I just lift all the clothes (hangers & all) and small piles in half. Then place inside large trash bags (in case something spills or gets wet), then into the container. When I have to unpack, I can just pull our a bag at a time and hang. Easy peasy. I've been dropping off bags of stuff at the recycling bins every week (it's closer than driving to the thrift store and I can go at any time). The thrifts are getting lots of my designer purses and clothes. 

As I was cleaning out my closet, I found a brand new bottle of my favorite perfume. I have completely forgotten about it. I've been using designer perfume since I started high school. When Target had a big sale on it (holiday season before the pandemic), I bought 2. I'm still using the other one, but forgot that I had this one. I was really surprised to see it at Target, because it's only ever been available at the high end department stores. Then they changed the fragrance name and I got a new bottle at Macy's about 2 years ago. Then the new fragrance was discontinued too and I was so happy that I scored my bottle. Now I'm even happier, because I now have 2 (3.4 oz) bottles. I've been using this fragrance for about 25 years and was sad to learn that it's discontinued. 

You'd think I can take a break from shopping, but stores keep sending me more & more rewards. How the heck am I supposed to say no. I received 3 Half Birthday rewards this week. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'll take the free money. Happy half birthday to me...lol Here's what I got

  • WHBM - $50 Bday reward
  • Soma - $5 Bday reward - too little to use, since I don't get free shipping 
  • Madewell - $15 Bday reward 
  • Kohls - $5 monthly KC
I need to make a list again, because JCP just sent me an email to say I have a $10 reward expiring soon. Totally forgot about that. I have a Nordstrom reward as well and I'm pretty sure there was something else. I need to check.

  • I purchased a new Sam's membership for $10 during their 40th birthday celebrations. The ex is the main member on our old membership, so I couldn't switch it to my name. This couldn't have happened at a better time, cause our old membership expires at the end of the month.
  • My CC sent me a $10 credit offer if I switch to digital statements. I might take them up on that offer, except I'm not good at remembering to print digital statements. It's so much easier for me to just open snail mail and file my statements. 
  • I'm on a drugstore hiatus, but did a Wags run last week. They sent me a $20 WYS $40 booster and I had a $7 WYS $25 makeup booster. Say no more, cause I needed new nail polish. I always paint my toenails during summer. I bought 2 Dove b/w, 4 Loreal lipsticks, 4 S Hansen nail polish, 1 Loreal cleanser. Paid $30.xx OOP and earned $27 rewards. 

  • The day after I spent my $18 BC, RA sent me a $8/40 Q. Then today I saw that I have $5 BC again from the monthly challenges. So much for taking a drugstore break. 
  • Visited the dentist on Tuesday and they told me that my teeth are super clean. Yay! My cleaning didn't even take much time, but I spent an hour at the dentist office. The guy who did the x-rays didn't know how to do his job. Sigh. Then I had to wait a long time for the dentist to come talk to me.  Then came the bad news. I need a filling for the small cavity I have. That's going to cost over $200. I know that I need the filling. My teeth are sensitive to cold, so I can feel a sting whenever something cold hits that tooth. I told them I'll call for an appointment, because I have so much going on now & here's just another expense. I'm just gonna go pick some $$$ from that money tree in the backyard. 
  • Ordered a Wayfair gc with my CC points. They haven't had any good discounted gcs in a while, but when I checked this morning there was a whole bunch of them at 10% off. However, the Wayfair was 15% off and I need a few furniture items from them. So I ordered the gc and combined with those Wags MM ones I bought last year, I now have enough to pay for the vanity I have my eye on. I'm not crazy about the knobs/handles, but that can easily be replaced. I'm not getting the vanity for makeup. I mainly want it for the drawers (storage) & mirror. I'm not crazy about a dresser and I don't like a chest of drawers. 

I apologise for venting. I'm a smooth sailing kinda girl. I just want to get everything done so I can move on with my life. I just keep reminding myself that 'This too shall pass' & that God still has great plans for my future. I'm looking forward to it!

I might not be able to post regularly, but I will check in from time to time. 

Have a wonderful weekend peeps! 

19 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the legal trouble, and fingers crossed it gets resolved quickly & easily, from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you HP! I'm hoping to get this resolved within the next 2 week.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to see a post from you. I was worried. I'm glad you're ok but sorry to hear what all you are dealing with. I too dislike drama and having things up in the air so I totally understand. I hope you find a house that you like soon and that the divorce is settled sooner rather than later. Be sure to take care of yourself and carve out a little time to decompress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Lori! You are a true friend! I'll be able to decompress once I've moved (I'm getting there). I don't like being in limbo. I like to get things done so I can relax. Thank you for caring.

      Delete
  3. My appliance repairman told me Maytags are the brand he never works on - and to get the most basic washer that fits your needs! The more bells and whistles, the more that can go wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely interested in getting a basic washer. I'm surprised to hear that about the Maytag as it always gets rave reviews.

      Delete
  4. Liz from New YorkMay 6, 2023 at 9:33 AM

    Hi, longtime lurker here, but I had to comment about Speed Queen. I have the basic one, no electronics on it for about 5 years now. I specifically chose it because it had no bells and whistle’s. Knock wood, so far so good. I also bought the matching dryer at the same time again no bells and whistle’s. It’s a workhorse, so I definitely would stick with the brand, Just maybe not with it electrical components. Best, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! I wish I could still find a basic Speed Queen. I'm definitely looking for a basic washer. We've had the Amana before (it's the only non-digital I can find right now), but it doesn't have a fabric softener dispenser (you have to add softener manually). It worked great though.

      Delete
  5. I’m so glad you checked in! Sorry you are having to go through this with your ex and the lawyers. The housing market is really hot right now! Neat deals in the birthday rewards. I have a free pizza and a free pretzel to pick up for mine this week. I hope things go smoothly for you with the lawyers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda! Yay on the free food. I sure wouldn't mind a free pizza. Yes, there's lots of inventory right now, so I'm hoping to move soon. This girl is ready to move!

      Delete
  6. Glad all is well. Hope you find the perfect house soon. So stressful looking for the right place. God is definitely in control though :). Happy belated half birthday, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Bday chuckle Theresa...lol. There's lots of houses for sale right now, so I'm trusting that I can move soon. I fell in love with that house my gut told me to not buy. Oh boy! I agree! God is always in control :)

      Delete
  7. So sorry for the troubles you are having. I have a Maytag which is computerized but hasn't caused me any problems as of yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie! It seems like it's only the newer computerized appliances that are problematic, so I think you'll be fine.

      Delete
  8. I think the repairman meant he never works on Maytags as they never break, so a good machine. I want a Speed Queen if I ever buy another washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes perfect sense Linda! I initially wanted a Maytag, but have read that the newer ones experienced the same problem as my Speed Queen. I, thankfully, have a working washer again.

      Delete
  9. Lisa (Figuring out retirement). I saw your comment & now can't even find the post to respond...lol. I'm so very happy to hear from you again! I've been worried about you not blogging for a long time & kept checking your blog. I'm happy to see that you are doing well. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for your problems. I don't think you speed queen washer is the same as mine. It is non digital and I bought it when my digital Maytag died after 5 years. I love my speed queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nannie! I have a newer model Speed Queen. It works great. I would love to find a non-digital one. I would gladly pay more for something that works well & will last for years.

      Delete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...