Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Our favorite muffin recipes

Hi everyone

For those who eat expired food, please be careful. I got food poisoning from a yogurt yesterday and it wasn't fun at all. In my quest to 'use it all up', I decided to drink DS's 2 yogurts (not all at once) that had an expiration date of 2/5/23 (yep, Sunday). He has a weak stomach, so I never give him expired food. I'm one of those people who check expiration dates and will rarely touch expired food. I do the whole FIFO (first in, first out) thing with food. Yep, I'm bad...lol. Anyhoo, after DS got home yesterday, I decided to have a yogurt (we have yogurt daily),because I know that yogurt & milk are good for at least a week after it's expiration date. An hour later, I got severe stomach cramps, followed by nausea. I just felt sick, I didn't know how to sit. Now, I have a strong stomach - I rarely toss my cookies, so I just had to suffer through the cramps & nausea. I decided to just go lay down with the wastebasket next to the bed (just in case). I didn't even have dinner, because I had no appetite. I did make a few trips to the bathroom (TMI), then went to bed early. I, thankfully, slept through the night and felt a lot better this morning. I had a big breakfast (I always do), so I guess I'm better. I did lose 1 lb though, so there's a silver lining to skipping dinner. I'm just so over getting sick. I never get sick this much. Crazy. 

As promised, here are our favorite muffin recipes. I like to rotate the recipes every week, so we don't have the same flavor more than once per month. 

Please note that I like to put my own spin on food. I'm a flavor girl. I will sometimes combine the best ingredients from 2 similar recipes, to make my own (it works...lol). I've been cooking since I was 12, so I don't always measure everything. I just eyeball it. My tweaks are optional. I'm adding notes of it, in case anyone wants to try it too. 

With the exception of blueberry & cranberry muffins, sugar is replaced with crushed raisins. I crush the raisins in the blender, so that the sweet taste can be spread evenly throughout the batter. 


Bran apple muffins. It's actually called Flax muffins, but that sounds unappetizing (translation - boring...lol).

This is definitely my favorite, because it's loaded with so many good ingredients and nutrients. If you want a 'healthy' muffin, this is the one to try.


Carrot pineapple muffins

I recently started adding crushed bran flakes so DS can get some iron and extra nutrients. 


Cranberry Almond muffins

I use fresh cranberries instead of the sauce. I just add milk so that my batter's not too dense. Sometimes I skip the almonds and add vanilla extract and lemon zest instead. I know that orange goes with cranberries, but the lemon works great too.


Gingerbread muffins

This is one of those 'slap ya mama' muffins. I can eat this muffin every single day. The orange zest is optional, but if you want a taste of the holidays, please do add the zest. This muffin is a 'show stopper' with the zest. Just use the zest of a large orange. This muffin is great with or without zest. Definitely a winner in my book.

I add crushed/grated carrots, because I love carrots & it pairs well with ginger. 


Blueberry muffins

I use both fresh & frozen blueberries. I crush frozen blueberries in the blender. I'm a blueberry girl, so I want a taste of it in every single bite. I also add a tsp vanilla extract, cause who wants bland muffins? Alternatively, add lemon zest for a lemon blueberry muffin. So good!

I don't add the crumble to the muffins, because I don't like 'sweets' for breakfast. The muffin is still good without the crumble. 


Banana oatmeal muffins

The muffin recipe is no longer available on their site (I see that I printed it in 2015). I will type the recipe when I get a chance. In the meantime, enjoy this oatmeal banana bread recipe. The ingredients are similar. 

I hope that everyone will enjoy some of these recipes. 

Bon Appetit Peeps! 

9 comments:

  1. I do not eat expired food for that exact reason. While I know food doesn't just magically go bad on the expiration date, I just don't want to take that chance. Food poisoning is no joke. I'm glad you seem to be feeling better.
    I love muffins and all of these sound delicious. I use the Jordan Marsh recipe for BB muffins and it seems to be a lot like yours. They are SO good. I'll definitely try the Gingerbread muffins. They sound really good. Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why I've been avoiding expired food too Lori. I'd rather throw out $2-4, than get sick. It's just not worth it. Thank you for mentioning Jordan Marsh. I printed the recipe and will try it sometime. I hope you enjoy the gingerbread muffins. You too have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. I have a very sensitive stomach, so you have my sympathies. My husband eats (mostly) keto, but has one small muffin a day, as his only carb, so I make a lot of muffins! He loves cranberry orange, and I'm always trying to work through our banana and pumpkin freezer stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bake muffins every week. DS prefers muffins to bagels. I wish I had fresh cranberries. I love cranberry muffins too. Please do share if you have a good pumpkin muffin recipe. My pumpkin muffins never turn out great. They're not bad, but they're definitely not the best.

      Delete
  3. I’m so sorry the yogurt made you sick. 😢

    Thank you for the muffin recipes! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. I'm feeling much better today. You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your favourite recipes with us. I need to try a few.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had a lot of stress in your life this past year. Stress can make you sick. Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...