Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Menu Plan Tuesday

Hi everyone

I'm feeling a bit better today. No, I am NOT pregnant. There's 0.000000000% of that happening right now.  In fact, I didn't even get morning sickness when I was pregnant. I got sick exactly 3 times during pregnancy & it was either late at night or the middle of the night. I remember the doctor telling me that I could be having twins, because it was very unusual to get morning sickness at night. I've always wanted twins (twins run rampant in my family), but being a single parent with twins scared the living daylights out of me. 

I have a very strong stomach and rarely toss my cookies (so I know I'm sick when I feel this way). As I was finishing breakfast, I got this huge wave of nausea and felt like throwing up. I hightailed it to the bathroom, but nothing happened. I was eating a breakfast burrito from the freezer and I think the black beans might have gone bad. I didn't freeze the burritos immediately after making them. I had it in the fridge for a few days before freezing. Big mistake, because beans don't last too long. I was so glad that DS didn't have a burrito for breakfast, because he would've gotten sick. He has a weak stomach. I ate apples & raw carrots (fiber) and drank lots of water.  I knew that I'd feel a lot better once the junk is out of my system (TMI), so I decided to help things along, cause my stomach was upset all day. Needless to say, I got rid of the rest of the burritos (there were only 3 left). I don't like food waste, but I'd rather throw out bad food than get sick. I'm so glad I cook our meals on Sundays, cause I didn't have the energy to fix dinner yesterday. 

On to the menu plan.

Monday : Chicken stir fry with brown rice

Tuesday : Beef stroganoff with brown rice

Wednesday : Same as Monday

Thursday : Same as Tuesday

Friday : Leftovers for me. Carry out for DS

Lunch : Leftovers or freezer chicken with salad

Breakfast : Orange blueberry muffins, omelets, toast, cereal, french toast (we have chocolate brioche & raisin bread. Both make good french toast), breakfast sausage, bacon. Pick your own breakfast.

There's always a huge variety of fruit and veggies available.

I haven't made stroganoff in years, so I forgot that I needed noodles to go with it. No noodles, so we'll have it with rice. I'm used to eating rice with many meals - it's what South Africans do. 



Here are some food prep pics. I like to slice a pepper and red onions. This way it's easier to fix your salad instead of having to wash & slice things for every meal. These can be used for omelets too, so it does double duty. I only slice one pepper at a time, because I like the pepper to be crispy fresh. Cucumbers are sliced fresh too, to retain it's freshness. If I have an abundance of peppers and onions, I slice and/or dice lots of it to freeze for omelets or other meals that require those items.

I also sautéed mushrooms, garlic & parsley for omelets. 



The culprits that made me sick😠 I love all kinds of cheese, but I don't care for cottage cheese. My friend told me to add it to omelets (for extra protein), so that's what I did. Then I decided to add it to burritos too. Coupled with the black beans, we got lots of protein & iron from the burritos. 

There's no right or wrong way to make burritos. I like to add things that we enjoy. These had crumbled breakfast sausage & veggies. I squeeze sausage (raw) out of the casing and then diced it fine while it cooks. Next time I'll make bacon, mushrooms and other veggie ones. I bought tortillas over the weekend to make more burritos, but I'm a little turned off them right now. 

Bon Appetit peeps!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better! We are twins for sure. The only way I will eat cottage cheese is if it is hidden in other foods. It's something about the texture that I don't like and don't notice it if it is mixed with other ingredients. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! That's the only way I'll eat cottage cheese. Have a great evening!

      Delete
  2. I add cottage cheese to several dishes to add protein, same with beans. I'm sorry the black beans made you sick. I'm with you, Better to throw them away than risk any sickness. I'm glad your son didn't eat any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda! That's the only reason I eat cottage cheese - to add extra protein to our breakfasts.

      Delete
  3. Lok at you all organized and not preggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Kim. Thanks for the chuckle. Hugs my friend. I'll check in with you soon.

      Delete
  4. I make stroganoff a great deal, especially in the winter.

    I didn't realize I was pregnant with our first because I was sick all day, every day for a week and my period had never been regular. I was sure I had a really bad case of the flu.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stroganoff Jackie! I don't know why I haven't made it in years.

      It's so weird how some women don't get the normal symptoms. I never got any nausea in the morning or was turned off by certain food. My food poisoning symptoms sound more like pregnancy symptoms, but I've been celibate for years.

      Delete
  5. Yes, it's scary to eat food that went bad - good you got rid of It and glad you are feeling better. Your meals look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...