Thursday, August 24, 2023

Odds & ends

The week sure flies by when you're busy. I've had a rather productive week so far, so I'm happy. What's new at Casa Goose?

  • I finally found some guavas at the produce market (they only have it during summer - not every year though). Need some vitamin C? Eat a guava. Guava is one of the richest Vitamin C fruits. This is one of my favorite (if not favorite) fruits. That explains why I rarely got sick in SA. I was eating healthy without even realising it 😊 Our guavas don't normally have blemishes/bruises like these (so we eat the skin too) and are pink on the inside. These are white on the inside, but the flavor is still the same. Can't find guavas - try guava juice (I normally get some at Costco). I used to drink guava juice every day in SA. We had a guava tree in our backyard that never bore fruit, but my dad refused to get rid of it. I should research growing one indoors here (MI climate is too cold for outdoor guava trees). If I can find litchis again (they haven't sold it in years), I'll be a happy girl. 

  • I've discovered that Sams' kiwi price is similar to the produce market, so I've been buying kiwis at Sams instead of making a trip to the market every 2 weeks just for kiwis & peppers. The Sams ones also stay fresh for longer. When I was at Sams earlier this week, I saw that the kiwi packages had $1 off, so I bought 3 packs (around 14 per pack). We eat kiwi daily (another vitamin C rich food which is again a normal thing for me), so these will only last 2-3 weeks. I've peeled, washed & diced one package to freeze for smoothies.

  • Received my final bill from my attorney last week & I'm not a happy camper. I'm so mad at the ex for making me spend this much unnecessary money (he could've avoided it by just doing what he was supposed to). This case cost me almost as much as the divorce did (maybe someday I'll share how I did a frugal divorce. Ms Goose got skills 😂). 

  • Received my new lamps and one arrived damaged. So I tried to get hold of CS, but you need to text them. WTH? Well, they ask you a truckload of questions (all automated), before asking if you need assistance. Ugh! Then I received a message that they have a huge backlog and someone would contact me within 12 minutes. Cool, cause I don't have to wait around for a text message (unlike Live Chat where you can't exit until you're done). That was last Thursday. By Tuesday I have still not heard anything. So I went through the whole text song & dance again and finally got a live person. He was extremely helpful and set up my return and said he'll just reorder a new one. He offered me 10% off the new lamp, but I'd have to contact them again to have the discount applied. I thanked him & told him to just ship the new lamp without discount. A $5 discount isn't worth the time I'd have to waste going through that whole song & dance again. I'm now awaiting notification of the shipped item (which he said would happen as soon as UPS scans the returned item). Well, UPS collected yesterday. Sigh! Does anyone provide good service anymore?

  • I redeemed another $5 P&G gc. I just keep checking their site, cause gcs are hit & miss. 

  • Should get a big fat Rakuten check this week (it was mailed last week). Whoo-hoo!

  • I only need to earn another $35 for my Ipad to be completely paid, by selling my old stuff. Well, my Rakuten check will more than cover this portion, but I've got a few more things to list.

  • DS's collectibles have been selling well. I'm not sure if I should list more or just save the rest. BF has a family member that can benefit from these items. Even if I sell half the collection, there will still be plenty left to enjoy. I figure he might enjoy some of the older items, because our collection is almost 20 years in the making. It's HUGE! I'm still adding clearance pieces, because I know they'll be valuable when they're NLA. I'm just uncertain about selling some and investing the money or saving it and let the collection increase in value. The truth is that the value will increase by much more, compared to the compound interest if I sell and invest. This should be a no brainer, right? 😂

  • Stopped at RA & Wags while out running errands yesterday and spent a whopping $2.13 OOP. That was fun! I'll try to post this week's shopping deals tomorrow.

  • I really wanted some National Coney food when DS & I got home from being out & about this afternoon. So I went online to check the menu & prices and after adding what we wanted, I saw that the total was $28!! (excl tip).  I really wanted fries and some kind of junk food. I was hungry. Then I thought we could get Red Robin instead, cause I have lots of discounted gcs. I then remembered that we have fresh taco meat (I always set a portion aside before freezing the rest, for immediate consumption). So I made taco meat quesadillas and we had fresh pico & sour cream with that. My body & wallet were both happy.

  • I had a similar experience at the mall a few weeks ago. I passed Cinnabon (we all know how good those suckers smell). I haven't had any of their items in years and thought I'd treat myself. That was until I checked the menu. Almost $6 for one cinnamon roll?! No friggin way!! I decided to just get a Sams chocolate muffin when I got home, because I paid less than $5 for half dozen jumbo muffins at Sams the day before. I wasn't being cheap. I'm just more mindful about impulse purchases, because I still have to pay for a house. Does anyone else do this?
That's all I can think of for now. 

Have a wonderful evening peeps!

6 comments:

  1. Tommy is very easy to convince to get fast food most days. Usually, I only mentioned I was dying for chicken after we get home so he won't say "okay." Some days, we talk it over and decide we have food at home that is cheaper and just as good. I don't call it being cheap, though. I am waiting for September so I can have my Chicken Chick Salad. We decided to only have it once every three months because it is a $20 lunch which we don't want to spend. The every three months comes in October, so September meal is my birthday 'want' and then again in October I am hoping to spin the 3 month deal on him.
    Try to sell the collectibles at a high instead of accidentally waiting for the market to go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy & tempting for us to get fast food, because there are many places within walking distance from our house. DS gets fast food on Friday nights, so I figured it would be wasteful (financially) to get fast food 2 days in a row, cause we order Saturday dinner (or dine out) from a restaurant too.

      Those collectibles will never decrease in value. It is such good stuff that it will continue to become more valuable over time. It's also something that we can keep/use for many generations.

      Delete
  2. Guyava and kiwi are indeed full of vitamin C. I can't stand te smell of guyava, and kiwi doesn't agree with my stomach. So, I practically stopped eating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of guavas and can never get enough of it! I'm sorry that kiwi doesn't agree with you. That's another fruit I'll eat daily. I grew up eating all kinds of tropical fruit, so I love it all.

      Delete
  3. Great deals as always, my frugal queen friend! Everything is so expensive we all have to start getting creative. I was checking out prices the other day when I went shopping and everything has literally doubled here. The tropical fruits are one thing I really miss about SW Florida. Kiwi and Guyava are both delicious. Have a great Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! I get sticker shock every time I go to the grocery store and it's only going to get worse (I'm working on a post). Yummy, I love tropical fruit. I'm also used to eating figs & dates. I'm now craving date loaf (bread). I'll have to find a recipe and make some. You too have a wonderful day my good friend! Hugs

      Delete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...