Thursday, October 27, 2022

Big changes!

Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone is still interested in reading my blog (other than Jackie & Theresa 😊 Thank you for checking on me ladies). 

I apologise for my lack of posts. Why have I been MIA for so long? DH & I decided to split. As in, we got divorced. I'm not going into details, but it took a huge toll on me, especially my health. Thankfully, my family have been very supportive, despite living on another continent. I don't know what I would've done without their love & support and that of my BFF (who lives nearby).

I'm currently house hunting (I should say I've been house hunting for months), since DH got the house (MI law). Not an easy task. Housing prices are still through the roof here, since there's a housing shortage in our state. So houses are snapped up fast. A house I was interested in, sold just earlier today. I'm so bummed. This happens half the time. There's still another one, so I'm hoping to go look at it soonest. I've looked for new furniture and delivery dates are 6-8 weeks. WTH?!! I want to have my furniture available when I move into my house. How am I supposed to function without furniture? However, I can't order furniture until I purchase a house. Just another stumbling block. Sigh. I hate stumbling blocks. I'm a smooth sailing kinda girl. I just want to buy my house, decorate it, get a Christmas tree & decorations, bake holiday cookies & be merry. A girl can dream or hope :) I like that hope word better. I've already been working on Christmas surprises. See, I don't allow stumbling blocks to keep me from putting smiles on people's faces over the holidays. I love the Christmas holidays. It's my favorite time of the year. 


I now know what people mean when they say "Divorce is expensive".  Holy cow, they weren't kidding!!! I have so much to deal with, my head is spinning. I'm thankful that I'm a bit of a frugalista and know how to squeeze the heck out of a dollar. I'll be the only breadwinner too, so I really need to get my sh*t together. I've hardly done any work this year, because of dealing with this mess. So much for those best laid plans. My year went to hell in a hand basket. Not complaining. I'm just feeling overwhelmed. 

I really just have a lot on my plate right now. There's just so much to do and I'm doing everything by myself. No family here and only one close friend who keeps helping me whenever she gets a chance. I still need to contact an estate lawyer too. My former colleague/friend who is a partner at one of the big 5 accounting firms, has been helping me, but he's on another continent. I have all but forgotten that the company deals with estates too. Duh! Probably, because I haven't worked there in decades. So while I was laying on the beach this summer, I was talking to my friend about getting a trust set up for DS (see, I'm always the planner...lol). We haven't seen each other in almost 30 years and go without chatting for years, but whenever I need financial advice or service, I contact him because I know that he's going to get it done ASAP and I'm going to get top notch service. We're alike in that regard (we worked closely together years ago), so we understand each other. However, I need to find a local attorney to get that done too. I sure as heck cannot afford to do it through the accounting firm's offices here, because I know they charge mega bucks!!! 

So that's my life in a nutshell right now. I'm just asking for prayer please. That everything that I still have to deal with, will go smoothly. This too shall pass. I'll try to blog when I get a spare moment. I do have some posts to share, but just not the time to do it.  I do still read some of your blogs on occasion.

I hope everyone stays safe & healthy.

27 comments:

  1. Sorry to read that you are going through all this. It sounds like you have a handle on the situation though. I will be praying that you find a home soon and that you have all the support you need.
    I love your blog. Your money saving skills are amazing and inspire me to save wherever I can. I hope you will find time to post even if that is a year from now. Take time to settle into your new life.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind word & prayers Theresa. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Take care of yourself and I really do hope things work out for you. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everything works out for you. It's a hard time, you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry and will be thinking of you as you muddle through all the changes in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked and reread your last post. This was during the time I was so ill this summer. I waited for your post to rise to the top again. I understand your problem. But, how can state law determine who gets the house? Hopefully, you can find a home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I hope that you're feeling better. In MI, you only divide marital property when you get divorced. Each party gets to keep whatever they've owned before the marriage. Since DH owned the house before we were married, he is lawfully entitled to it. I have no problem with that.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I am so sorry for the changes in your life. I have been wondering about you and where you were. My best advice is to give yourself some grace. It was a year before I even began to feel like myself again after my divorce. It’s expensive and life changing. As far as trauma goes, Psychologists put divorce right under losing a child. My heart goes out to you. We will be here whenever you want to check in! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Belinda. It means a lot to me. I needed that! It is definitely life changing, but I just keep reminding myself that I can do this.

      Delete
  7. I've missed your posts and I'm so sorry to hear why you've been MIA. Prayers going up for you in this difficult time and I hope you find a home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lori! I appreciate your kind words & prayers.

      Delete
  8. It really is so difficult and traumatic. It is a death of sorts, and even if you wanted it there's still a grieving process. Give yourself some grace, if you can. I also understand your feeling of wanting to just get a house, get it furnished, etc - I remember feeling like I just had to get all of that done before I could fully grieve/move on. Of course that wasn't true, and the house I finally found closed months later than planned - but it's all a distant memory now. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obscure. Thank you so much! That is exactly how I feel - that I just need to get things done, so I can move on with my life. It's nice to have someone who understands exactly what I'm going through.

      Delete
  9. Girl you have my prayers. I just wish we lived closer so that I could help you out. Our son had the same problem trying to purchase a home earlier this year. Every one he liked seemed to get purchased almost immediately. Belinda is right, give yourself some grace.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Jackie! You are so sweet & I know that you would do exactly just that. I'm trusting that God will provide me with the perfect house soon. Thank you so much for caring.

      Delete
  10. Hi!!!!!! I am so glad you are finally back. It must mean you are doing and dealing with the divorce better now. Believe that you have been missed. You know that you can set up your trust by yourself without paying someone else to do it (mega savings). I did mine by myself after my husband died and had done our joint trust when he was alive. suzeorman.com/resources walks you through it step by step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words & advice/recommendation Anon. Much appreciated! My trust is complicated. I know exactly what I want, but there's lots of finer details (I'll explain in another post), so I would prefer to have an expert deal with it.

      Delete
  11. You have been missed. I’m so sorry about the divorce. Praying you can find a suitable home and get all settled in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words & prayers Mandy. It's much appreciated!

      Delete
  12. I've been thinking about you. I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce, and sending you lots of good thoughts, and hoping you find a house option soon! Being in limbo is really difficult, particularly for those of us who are planners. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much HP! You totally get me. I definitely do not like to be in limbo or flying blind. I like to have everything neatly mapped out and executed.

      Delete
  13. I have been missing your posts, but thought, like the rest of us, you were busy with "life." I guess I was right. Prayers are being said for you. **hug**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers & hugs Kay. I really appreciate it. I'll try to post at least once a week - even if it's just to say Hi! Hope you & Farmer (DH) are well.

      Delete
  14. Goodness! I just checked in on a few blogs and yours is always one I check. I have been reading from recent to this post. I am so sorry you are going through a divorce. Hoping you find the home of your dreams and can find peace after all is settled. Lisa

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...