Sunday, October 10, 2021

September monthly check in

Wowzers! How is it that a week has gone by again? I started writing this post a little over a week ago. 

Let's face it. I don't have a budget anymore. So much for my best laid plans of lowering our grocery budget & saving hard this year. The pandemic and global shortages have turned my life topsy turvy.

September was a seriously spendy month. I feel like I spent most of the month shopping. I have to remind myself that I've done Christmas shopping, so it's gonna feel like it does in November when I finish my holiday shopping (I still shop throughout the year, but not everything's available until the holidays).  So here's the good, the bad and the very ugly. An old couponing friend of mine told me that I should take inflation into consideration and that made me feel a teensy bit better. 


Groceries/HBA/Cleaning

Produce market : $91.62

Costco : 62.44

CVS : $9.83

Dollar Tree : $19.42

Kroger : $16.21

Meijer : 4.78

Ollies : 58.57

Sams : $337.68

Walmart : $292.13


Total OOP : $892.68


Earnings 

$3.25 Ibotta + $1 KCB

I just don't have time to chase any Ibotta deals.

My earned drugstore rewards are not included in this amount.I count them when I spend it. 


I almost fell off my chair once I've crunched the numbers. I have never in my life spent this much on groceries in one month. As in never ever! I've been stocking up like crazy. As you can see, the bulk was spent at Sams & Walmart. We're in great shape. I know I'm still missing a few things. I need to go through my pantry and make a list.

Can you believe that I haven't been able to find any dish cloths at Walmart? I finally found some at Meijer. 

I went to the produce market twice last month, hence the high amount. 

This month's grocery bill should be a whole lot less. I'm budgeting $100 per week. I'm hoping for $80 per week, but I'm giving myself some wiggle room. Who knows how much inflation will continue to bite us in the behind. 

I'm finally at the point where we don't need anything else. My stockpile is full. I don't even have any more room to store any more groceries. I guess that's a good problem to have. We only need  a few more things like cereal, molasses, mint chocolate chips, caramel (baking) & cooking spray. I finally feel like I can relax when it comes to stockpiling. I'm so happy, because it takes a lot of time & planning. 


MONEY EARNED (SIDE HUSTLE)


GCs Earned $110 ($50 Mypoints, $35 IGC, $10 Swagbucks, $10 PG, $5 Microsoft)

Personal items (things we've had listed for the past 2 years) : $74.97

2021 Closet cleanout : $14.60

Big goal : $0

Drugstore items : $14.67

Total earnings : $214.24


I also redeemed for some gcs through my CC. The PG is points that I've had forever and they finally added the coffee gcs again. Thankfully I was able to redeem for 2 gcs this time around. 

I listed zero personal items last month. I just didn't have the time. I'm trying to catch up on work, but that's also not so easy when I have to focus on making sure we're covered for any shortages. People have already started buying holiday gifts, so I need to get my butt in gear. I might have to consider getting up an hour earlier.


YTD Earnings :

GCs (point earning sites) : $560

Ibotta : $416.94

Personal items : $759.15

2021 Closet cleanout : $262.48

Big goal : $641.03

Drugstore items : $172.36

Total Earnings (excl Ibotta) : $2395.02


YTD EXPENSES (Clothing/shoes/accessories, Christmas gifts)

OOP  Shoes & bras (September) $184.82

Christmas gifts : $317.09

As I've mentioned before, I'm basically done with holiday shopping. The socks for DS (previous post) is an October expense since I bought it on the first. I actually didn't spend any other money on clothing last month, except for my athletic shoes and bras (both of which are needs). The rest of the expenses were all for Christmas gifts. I actually did pretty well on that front, because I utilized gcs to help offset the costs. I did buy electronics so I'm happy with my total. DH couldn't believe how little I paid for DS's main gift. I can breathe a huge sigh of relief that I I have Christmas taken care of. This is really early, even for me! The good news is that I don't have to think about holiday expenses come November/December.

Total OOP $501.91


What was it I said last month about getting out of the hole. Oy vey. I'll be very happy to get back to normal. I don't wanna spend any more money. I just want to get back to saving. 


YTD OOP (clothing/shoes/accessories, Christmas gifts) : $1343.96

YTD side hustle income (personal, closet cleanout, drugstore) : $1193.99

YTD clothing/christmas gifts expenses : $1845.87

YTD Balance ($651.88)


Now that stockpiling & Christmas shopping are done, I can get back to saving again. Savings this year was the plan after all. Time to get back to my original plan. 

8 comments:

  1. That was a lot of money for groceries, but it is good to get ahead and plan for shortages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda. It is a lot. It does include household cleaning products & HBA. I'm now done shopping. I'm now back to doing minimal shopping every week.

      Delete
  2. Groceries have climbed by a huge percentage in the past 2 or 3 months. I am assuming it is going to continue and pick up sales whenever I find them (less and less frequently)
    Our family dynamics have changed and this year I am only giving experiences and consumable gifts for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently read that grocery prices have increased by 15.7% overall. That is just crazy, but I'm definitely seeing it when I go shop. I agree about the non-existent sales. I've given up on those.

      I love your gift idea of experiences. It's far more valuable than more 'stuff'. If I could, I would just go visit my family for Christmas, instead of doing gifts. I mainly shopped for DS. DH & I are very low key when it comes to gifts.

      Delete
  3. What a relief to have your Christmas shopping completed. My grown children get cash and something to open like a shirt or socks. My husband is like a 10 year old when it comes to Christmas. He has no restraint or when I suggest cutting back on gifts to each other, (which we typically get what we want through out the year) He is offended and hurt. I don't get it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... I love your husband's Christmas spirit. I'm the gift giver. I love putting smiles on people's faces, so your DH & I will get along well when it comes to Christmas gifts. My husband couldn't care less about gifts, so I go overboard with DS. DS is always excited about getting gifts.

      Delete
  4. I know exactly where you are coming from. The past few months I have spent way more than ever before. Inflation, stocking up, and the worry about shortages is causing my spending to sky rocket. I say it every month lately, but I hope I can be under budget if even by $10.00 this month.

    I am trying to make more gifts for Christmas, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful all that stocking up is behind me Jackie - for now at least. Who knows when supply chain issues will be fixed.

      You always make such beautiful crafts, so I know you'll have some wonderful gifts made for everyone :)

      Delete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...