Monday, April 17, 2023

Meal Plan Monday 04/17/23

Happy Monday Everyone

Boy, I'm already missing that lovely warm weather we had last week. We had rain yesterday, so it was a good day to cook & bake. Here's what we're eating this week:

Monday : Beef pot pie, veggies, salad

Tuesday : Pesto chicken casserole, mashed potatoes, veggies or salad

Wednesday : Same as Monday

Thursday : Same as Tuesday 

Friday : Something from the freezer & salad

Breakfasts : Bran apple muffins, raisin bread, WW toast, eggs or omelets, breakfast sausage

Lunch : Leftovers or protein from the freezer with salad

There's always lots of fresh fruit, veg & salad fixings available

The beef pie was made with leftover roast beef from the freezer. We will also have roast beef sandwiches or wraps (lunch) since the beef was too much for the pie. I can't refreeze the meat, so I'll just eat it for lunch. 

There's quite a bit of cooked food in the freezer for easy meals - beef burritos, samosas, BBQ chicken breasts, frikkadel, taco meat, fajita chicken and there's still leftover sausage rolls from last week that DS can have for lunch tomorrow. This girl ain't cooking until next Sunday again

Someone asked about my beetroot salad last week. Well, it's not exactly a salad per se. It's actually pickled beets, but has always been called beetroot salad. I'm guessing it came from the British. Canadians might use the same term too and/or know what I'm referring too. Koo has always been my preferred brand when I lived in SA. Store brand wasn't good enough for me...lol (my parents usually bought Koo - a very popular food brand in SA. Think Kraft or Heinz). There's a difference in the flavor - trust me :) My father always used to ask whether I'm eating the meal or salad, because my food would be covered in beetroot. Well, he was big on flavor (I get it from him) and always liked to kick things up a coupla notches. He'd add grated onion, a little vinegar, a bit of water & sugar to dilute and sweeten the tartness of the vinegar, to the beetroot. I still make mine the same way. When I can't find the jar stuff (from South Africa), I cook fresh beets in instant pot. Then add all my dad's fixings. I don't add pickling spice, because there's no time to wait on that pickling process. Another favorite of mine is pickled onions. If you like fish & chips, try pickled onions with it. So yummy. 

I've posted the Koo site's link so you can have a look around. There's some recipes to try (I have to try the phyllo beets). If you've never had samp (hominy) & beans, be sure to try it. It's a yummy, hearty meal. 

I have a busy week ahead of me - lots to do. Have a wonderful week peeps!

10 comments:

  1. Happy Monday! The temperature went down here over the weekend also and it was chilly. Your meal plan sounds awesome. I have been craving a pot pie for awhile and really need to get some made. I just roasted a chicken last night so maybe I'll make chicken pot pies with the left overs. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! We had snow showers for most of yesterday. It's so weird. I've been craving roast chicken & potatoes since last week. I haven't made roast in ages, because I mainly purchase chicken breasts. time to switch things up. Hope you have a great week too my friend!

      Delete
  2. Your meal sounds lovely, and yes beet salad is popular in some areas here. Me I am not a fan of beets, but Harvey is so I usually make him a couple of jars of pickled beets every year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie! I would eat beetroot salad every day if I had enough in stock. I hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  3. Beets in any fashion or pickled things never cross my lips, so this was an interesting post. I hope you find all the pickles or beets that your heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to think of all the cooked food in the refrigerator and how long I won't have to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa. I just posted an update. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hope everything is going ok. I've missed seeing you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I just posted an update. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...