Friday, October 26, 2018

Easy homemade pizza recipe

Two weeks ago, my friend shared this pizza recipe. She knows that I like to cook, so she's always sending me recipes of things that she thinks I might like. When I saw this recipe, I knew that I absolutely had to try it.


So this is what's called a rainbow pizza. The part I liked was the easy dough recipe. The best part was that I already had all the ingredients at home.

Dough

1½ cups Self raising flour - found at Walmart (or AP flour and 1 tsp baking powder)
1 cup plain or greek yogurt

Mix together. Add more flour as needed and roll into a crust. Top with basil pesto, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and veggies of your choice. Top with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes at 400F

I made 2 large pizzas and they were gone within 2 days, they were THAT good! Now I must admit that I'm a food snob (no shame here). I grew up eating lots of fresh, high quality food and all our meals were cooked from scratch with fresh herbs and pure spices. We ate very very little processed food. In South Africa, we never knew pepperoni pizza. Our pizzas were topped with a variety of meat and/or veggies, so this recipe was right up my alley.


Then yesterday I decided to make 2 more pizzas, since I have to run errands today. I'm experimenting with different toppings.

Grilled eggplant (I just grilled it on my small George Foreman grill. I added salt/pepper and a little olive oil
1 Can artichokes
Roasted red peppers (Ollie's sells the large jars for cheap)
Mozzarella cheese
Basil pesto
I sprinkled a minimum amount of oregano on top
Top with olive oil

I had a slice last night and this was the BEST pizza I've ever made. Even DH was impressed when I told him that it tastes better than the ones we get at our favorite restaurants. Those pizzas normally set us back $25 each. They also don't offer as many toppings. I made sure that I placed a layer of each topping over the entire pizza. I want to get all those flavors in every single bite.

Hawaiian pizza with a twist

Famous Dave's bbq sauce
Mozzarella
Ham (I just diced up the slices that I buy at Sams)
Diced pineapple (I just up a can of rings)
Red onion slices
Cilantro

Unfortunately I ended up overcooking this pizza. After 20 minutes, the crust wasn't completely done. So back into the oven it went. A little too long - yikes! The flavor's still good, but it's not as pretty as the artichoke pizza. I won't serve this to anyone other than DH & DS, because presentation is as important as taste to me.

You can play around with all kinds of different toppings. There's no right or wrong way. Just choose your favorite toppings and fill your pizza with it.

For pasta sauce. Mix tomato sauce, some tomato paste and a little oregano together. Garlic is optional. I'm just gonna use my Prego pasta sauce, instead of buying tomato sauce and hope & pray that my pizza turns out okay...lol.

I told DH that I should just make about 6 pizzas at one time and freeze the rest. That way I don't have to bake pizzas every week. Although the fresh pizzas always taste better :)

Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...