Friday, August 11, 2023

This week's drugstore shopping

Hi everyone!

You know you have a problem when you are swimming in Wags receipts. Well, it's a good kinda problem I guess - at least if you're a couponer. This is the deal I did at Meijer last week. 

1 x Downy $10.99
3 x OS b/w 22.17
Less Downy DQ (2.00)
Less OS DQ (5.00)
Tax 2.00
OOP $28.15
Earned $10 CAT & $4 Ibotta (OS)

I then used the CAT on groceries this week. Meijer was loaded with Captain b/w. They have the same CAT deal running this week & next and the DQs have reset (this never happens at Meijer), so I might go back & do this deal again. I'm thinking P&G sales must have slumped since they eliminated their Q flyers, because they've run major sales at both Meijer & Wags. This is unheard of. 


Then off to my favourite (sarcasm) store this week. 



Trans 1

3 x OS b/w $21.00

2 x Dawn 2.48

Less OS DQ (5.00)

Less RRs (15.00)

Tax 1.41

OOP $3.48

Earned $11 RRs & WC ($6 WYS $22, $4 OS, $1 Dawn) + $4 Ibotta (OS)

Total earned $15.00

Submitted to PG, since I have enough items (5) to earn the max points per receipt.


Trans 2

3 x OS b/w $21.00

2 x Garnier 8.00

Less Garnier DQ (3.00)

Less RR (15.00)

Tax 1.74

OOP $12.74

Earned $15 RR & WC ($7 WYS $25, $4 OS, $3 Garnier) + $4 Ibotta (OS)

Total earned $19.00

 My $5 OS DQ never deducted. Ugh. It's always something at Wags. When I contacted CS, they insisted that it's because I didn't have enough number of items to match my Qs. Duh, I bought 5 items and used 4 Qs). Nope, she said I should added 2 more items, since the DQ is $5/3 (insert a million facepalm emojis). Lawd love a duck! Look at that first transaction. I used the exact same amount of RRs (3) + DQ and my OS applied. These are 2 different accounts, so I couldn't show it to CS. I didn't have the energy to argue. I knew that they had technical issues again, because I checked all DQs before going shopping. The OS wouldn't apply on my desktop, but it shows on my phone. Very strange, but you can't explain that to CS, cause they just make up their own rules as they go along. 

Wags, once again, only has one bottle of Captain b/w on the shelf. WTH? I'm stocking up on Captain, because it's our favorite. From the looks of it, its not available everywhere so I'm making sure we have enough in case this scent gets discontinued. In the meantime, DS can try other OS scents. My guys have more than enough HBA. They'll be swimming in OS, unless the BF wants a different brand, but I can find deals on whatever he wants 😂




Then I went to RA to make myself feel better & they made up for Wags crap in spades! 

2 x 16 ct Duracell batteries $15.98

1 x Revlon mascara 11.49

1 x Revlon lipstick B1G50% off 5.24

2 x $50 Wayfair gcs 100.00

Less $6/30 mailer Q (6.00)

Less Duracell DQ (6.00)

Less Revlon eye DQ (3.00)

Less Revlon lip DQ (3.00)

Less BC (55.87)

Tax 2.80

OOP $81.64

Earned $46 BC ($15 WYS $50, $15 Duracell, $16 Wayfair) + $6.10 Ibotta ($3 Revlon lip, $3 Revlon eye, 10c any) + $2 Fetch (WYS $20+ at RA)

Total earned $54.10

Would you look at that! I paid $81 for $100 gcs, cause my BC applied the Qs value to my gcs. Whoo-hoo! Happy dance!

Just last week I thought that I should just buy batteries at Sams, because those DT Energizer batteries run out fast. I replaced my t/b batteries with it and within a week, it was running much slower. So I was very, very happy to get Duracell for free. It's Buy $25 get $15 BC (limit 2) and it tracks. So I decided to go back and get another pack. I didn't want to do another $50 order, because the free items are things we don't use and I didn't want to be stuck with it. 

Have you ever had a day when all shopping just goes smoothly? Yesterday was that day! Even Wags worked slick as snot (color me surprised 😂)


RA

1 x 16 ct Duracell batteries $17.99
Tax 1.08
OOP $19.07 (paid with BC)
Earned $15 BC 

Also received a $7/35 CAT for next week

Wags

Trans 1

2 x Colgate t/p $8.00
2 x Garnier 8.00
Less Colgate DQ (1.00)
Less Garnier DQ (3.00)
Less WC (10.00)
Tax 0.96
OOP $2.96
Earned $8 RR ($5 Colgate, $3 Garnier)

Trans 2

2 x Garnier Whole Blends $8.00
2 x Crest 10.00
Less Garnier DQ (3.00)
Less Crest DQ (3.00)
Less WC (10.00)
Tax 1.08
OOP $3.08
Earned $6 RR ($3 Garnier, $3 Crest)

Why so much Wags shopping? There's quite a few double dip boosters available next week (preview) and I also received $9 WYS $40 CATs, so I need RRs to help lower my OOP. 

I also stocked up on a bunch of things at Kroger. I was very happy to see 5 lb blueberries for 3.88. I bought 3, because you all know I much I love blueberries 💞 and my favorite (Dannon) yogurt on sale and Barilla pesto for less than $1.99 after Ibotta, Fetch & KC. I can now make lemon blueberry pancakes & orange blueberry muffins.  I'm worn out from shopping. 

I was so annoyed with my realtor this week. I found a house that I really liked, so I immediately texted and asked them to schedule a tour for Wednesday or Thursday. The house is gorgeous and very modern and big enough for all of us. It checked almost all of my boxes, I liked it that much. The crazy part is that since I asked realtor to make an appointment, I just had an uneasy feeling about the financial side. My gut just kept telling me that this is a bad idea financially. We got an appointment for yesterday, so on Wednesday I asked my realtor to send me a breakdown of fees I need to pay, since I'm a first time buyer. So they sent me a list, but it's not with any numbers, just a list of possible things I'll have to pay (on top of purchase price). Wait a minute! Nobody told me that I have to pay closing costs (Boom,  there it is! My gut was right all along). Before I started house hunting, I asked the ex about this, cause he had bought  & sold a number of house over the years. He told me that sellers pay closing costs. So I did my own research and had to swallow my pride and ask the ex for help with this. I had no idea that I would need an additional $20k (give or take). Are you crazy?! I've already increased my budget by $100k (that's not a typo), because I've come to the realization that I won't find what I'm looking for at my old budget. Now I need to add another $20k. I must have a lot of money trees in my backyard (snark). I don't want to go broke buying a house. I'm not that dumb! I told the realtor to cancel my appointment so I could fall back & regroup. 

I'm a planner. I like to have all my ducks in a row. Give me all the details and numbers upfront before I commit to purchasing something. I hate last minute 'surprises', especially $20k ones. Well, I at least now know what I need to budget for, so I know what amount I'm willing to spend. I need to move, but I'm not going to overspend just so I can get my dream house. I can use my skills to decorate a lower priced home nicely. Besides, I have good taste 😜😂 I just bought another piece of furniture with that Wayfair gcs (more on that next time). 

Have a wonderful weekend peeps!

13 comments:

  1. Such great deals you got. I am always impressed reading your shopping deals.
    Does BF means boyfriend? I must have missed that post, lol. Sorry the home tour didn't work out. Buying a house is full of costly surprises. Not for the faint of heart to be sure :).
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa! It's good to hear from you. I'm learning that house buying is pretty expensive, especially in this economy. This is why I like to be financially prepared. Give me all the numbers so that I know where I stand.
      Yes, BF = Boyfriend :)
      You too have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. You did well at Wags. That is a lot of items for sure. But, when you are doing well with coupons and deals, it is best to get it while you can.
    I have heard of people demanding the buyer pay the closing costs. That is just crazy. Protect your money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! You have to grab the deals when you can. Things have changed so much over the years and everything's expensive. Save where you can.

      Turns out sellers are now splitting closing costs with buyers. I don't plan to spend my entire budget. I'm just giving myself enough wiggle room. I'm hoping to find something way below my budget, that still fits our needs. I have to be smart about my money.

      Delete
  3. You found great deals as always my friend. When we bought our house 12 years ago we had a VA loan and went with a local mortgage broker and the process was great and quick. Less than a month we were in our home and paid nothing out of pocket. Everything is so expensive even in our area right now and the mortgage rates are so much higher. I hope you're able to find what you want soon. I wouldn't want to be buying right now but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! Wow, your move sounds like a dream. I like things to go that smoothly. I agree that it's a very bad time to buy a house. I can stay with the ex (rent free) for as long as I want to, but I don't want to do that. We need to move on with our lives. I'm just praying for a nice house at a good price.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I wouldn't want to live with an ex either, rent free or not. Hopefully you find your dream home soon!

      Delete
  4. Oh, that is a shame about the extra $20K needed for closing costs. I hope you regroup quickly from this. I’m excited for you in your house search. You did great with couponing this week as usual. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Belinda! I have a good news update about the closing costs (will explain in my next post), so fingers crossed I find a good house soon.

      Delete
  5. Wow very well done even with them not taking off the coupon.

    Up here the closing costs are usually shared between seller and buyer. Or at least they used to be.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. Buyer & sellers split closing costs here too. Seller pays most of it though.

      Delete
  6. Buyer always pays closing costs......

    ReplyDelete

My blog has moved

Hi everyone I have decided to move my blog. I tried to sign up for ads several years ago, only to to discover that the ex already owned an a...